The 2020 Byron Remembrance Ceremony was held on Saturday 7 November. Covid restrictions required that we scale back participation to two representatives from each of the community organizations who would have normally had many members marching in the parade. Wreaths from Branch 533 members and Branch 533 Ladies Auxiliary were laid at the Byron Memorial Library before the main ceremony held at the Byron-Springbank Legion. Just under 50 members of the Byron community, Veterans and dignitaries were seated safely in the Legion parking lot. The virus did not stop us from conducting the normal Ceremony portion. During the ceremony, the reading of In Flanders Fields was presented by Vanessa Beatty from St.Thomas of Aquinas High School. This year, the Silver Cross wreath was laid by LCol (Ret) Mark Poland, whose brother Brent Poland of the Royal Canadian Regiment, was killed in Afghanistan on 8 April 2007.
If you happen to be walking by the Byron-Springbank Legion, please stop and checkout the hand-painted rocks sprinkled throughout the garden, they were donated by the 73rd London beaver and Cub Scout group
We would like to thanks MP Kate Young for representing the Government of Canada. MPP Peggy Sattler representing the Province of Ontario and Anna Hopkins representing the City of London, for taking the time to attend our Ceremony and laying wreaths. Special thanks to our Piper, MCpl Alex Klausnitzer, RHFC for playing the lament and to the London SAR Team for the assistance of setting up the ceremony and providing first aid coverage.
The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 533, Byron Springbank is open and has returned to almost normal operation.
Obviously, with moving indoors, we are subject to many restrictions:
- Add your contact information to the Contact Tracing list
- Face masks are to be worn WHENEVER YOU ARE NOT SEATED in the clubroom
- Limit of 50 people indoors (during daylight hours, the patio is available for overflow
- Maximum 6 people per table and tables must tay 6 feet apart
- All patrons must be seated when eating or drinking in the establishment. This means no drinking or standing at the bar or high tables
- Physical distancing of two metres between patrons from different households or social circles also continues to apply
- No dancing or singing allowed
- No buffet style food service
- No darts or pool
- NOTE: the Patio will be closed at the end of October
To see the complete “A Framework for Reopening our Province Stage 3 document go to https://files.ontario.ca/mof-framework-reopening-province-stage-3-en-2020-07-13.pdf)
The current configuration of entering the clubroom through the front stairs/elevator and exiting by way of the rear stairs will be maintained.
Our current patio will remain in place until the weather turns cold. The patio will open at the same time as the Legion but will close at dusk. Smoking is restricted to the alley behind the Legion, even when the patio is closed. When sitting in the patio area, refill your refreshments by returning to the bar either through the front stairs or elevator.
For those members who have not taken advantage of our patio we look forward to seeing you again in the clubroom
The following rules will still apply to The Patio
- Enter the Legion through the front door at the top of the stairs, or the Elevator
- Proceed down into the Clubroom and stop at the hand satirizing station
- Follow the arrows to the bar, keeping 6 feet apart from other patrons
- Once you have your order, follow the arrows to the stairs to the rear exit and go out to The Patio.
- Tables have been placed 2 Metres apart so that groups maintain the social distancing rules. Groups should not co-mingle. DO NOT MOVE THE TABLES FROM THE ASSIGNED LOCATION
- To get your next order, use the elevator to return to the Clubroom bar.
- When you are heading home, please tell the volunteer that you are leaving so they can wipe down the table and chairs you were using.
- NO GLASSWARE will be allowed out of the Clubroom, only plastic glasses and jugs are permitted on The Patio
- Washrooms – use the elevator to get to the Clubroom
Remember, if you feel sick, stay home
It’s time to renew your membership. Get a $5.00 discount for renewing Between 1 Sep 2020 and 30 Nov 2020
- Seniors – $45.00
- Regular, Associate and Affiliate Memberships – $50.00
- Reinstatements – $50.00
When you renew early, your name will also be entered to win one of three free one year membership
The first draw will be on 12 Sept 2020 3:30-5:00 PM.
Please remember, all the current Covid-19 Restrictions are still in place. We are only allowed a maximum of 50 people in the clubroom. This is not so much a problem on nice days because any overflow can sit on the patio and the ticket sellers will come to you. But on inclement days, if you are dropping in after 3:30 PM, please call to see if the maximum seating has been hit.
Don’t forget, MASKS ARE REQUIRED ANY TIME YOU ARE NOT SEATED. The ticket sellers will come around to you, just hold your hand up. The sellers will also go out to the patio.
The Meat Draw will be held every Saturday except 7 November (Byron Remembrance Parade) and 5 December (Turkey Rama).
Hope to see you on the Sept 12th
We are open but operating at a limited capacity. With the current Middlesex London Health Unit restrictions limiting occupancy to 50 people indoors and does not allowing singing or dancing, so we can’t hold any dances until further notice.
The Clubroom is open daily. Monday-Saturday 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM, Sundays & Holidays 12:00 PM to 6 PM.
Our Monthly Calendar is up to date.