2020 Poppy Campaign Starts Friday 30 October
The Royal Canadian Legion’s annual Poppy Campaign runs from the last Friday in October through Remembrance Day. Conducted by over 400 local Legion Branches, coast to coast, the campaign is the single largest source of funds for the Branches to support Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces and the RCMP and their families. Each local Branch uses volunteers to organize and run their campaigns with all funds collected staying, in trust, at that Branch. The Branch Executives are accountable for the strict control of the funds and spending goes through a multi-level approval process.
All funds collected during the Poppy campaign stay within our community. Over the five past years, the Byron-Springbank Legion Branch 533 has distributed over $200,000 from our Poppy Fund to support Veterans and their families in our community.
Donations have gone to support:
- Veterans Care Program – Parkwood Institute
- Specialized beds, mattresses, and lifts
- Operational Stress Injury Clinic – Virtual Reality Therapy equipment
- Veterans residing in Retirement Homes and Long Term Care facilities
- Emergency financial support for Veterans
- Student Bursaries for children of Veterans to attend post secondary institutions
- Youth Education Programs in elementary and secondary schools
Byron-Springbank Branch 533 volunteers will start delivering Poppy donations boxes to businesses, schools and organizations within our area on the last Friday October. If you happen to be missed and wish to have a Poppy Donation box for your business, please all 519-472-3300 and a donation box will be delivered.
If you would like assist the Poppy Campaign as Volunteer, please email the Branch at email@example.com or call 519-472-3300.
All funds collected during the Poppy campaign stay within our community. During the past year, the Byron-Springbank Legion Branch 533 has distributed over $30,000 from our Poppy Fund to support Veterans and their families in our community. The Fund also supports Youth Education programmes in both elementary and secondary schools.
Byron-Springbank Branch 533 volunteers will start delivering Poppy donations boxes to businesses, schools and organizations within our area on Friday, October 25th. If you happen to be missed and wish to have a Poppy Donation box for your business, please all 519-472-3300 and a donation box will be delivered. If you wish to volunteer to assist with the Poppy campaign, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Poppy Campaign” in the subject
From National Command: https://www.legion.ca/news/articles/2020/09/28/2020-national-poppy-campaign-to-launch-soon
Remembrance Day is approaching fast. To help educators, Veterans Affairs Canada has prepared bilingual teaching aids geared to various ages of students. Articles and Lessopn Plans are available at https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/get-involved/veterans-week/learning-resources#
Veterans Affairs Canada – Home Learning Centre, Second World War at https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/classroom/home-learning-corner/second-world-war
Additional Classroom material can be found on the Veterans Affairs Canada website at https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/classroom and https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/information-for/educators
The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 533, Byron Springbank is open and has returned to almost normal operation.
Obviously, with moving indoors, we are subject to many restrictions:
- Add your contact information to the Contact Tracing list
- Face masks are to be worn WHENEVER YOU ARE NOT SEATED in the clubroom
- Limit of 50 people indoors (during daylight hours, the patio is available for overflow
- All patrons must be seated when eating or drinking in the establishment. This means no drinking or standing at the bar or high tables
- Physical distancing of two metres between patrons from different households or social circles also continues to apply
- No dancing or singing allowed
- No buffet style food service
- No darts or pool
To see the complete “A Framework for Reopening our Province Stage 3 document go to https://files.ontario.ca/mof-framework-reopening-province-stage-3-en-2020-07-13.pdf)
The current configuration of entering the clubroom through the front stairs/elevator and exiting by way of the rear stairs will be maintained.
Our current patio will remain in place until the weather turns cold. The patio will open at the same time as the Legion but will close at dusk. Smoking is restricted to the alley behind the Legion, even when the patio is closed. When sitting in the patio area, refill your refreshments by returning to the bar either through the front stairs or elevator.
For those members who have not taken advantage of our patio we look forward to seeing you again in the clubroom
The following rules will still apply to The Patio
- Enter the Legion through the front door at the top of the stairs, or the Elevator
- Proceed down into the Clubroom and stop at the hand satirizing station
- Follow the arrows to the bar, keeping 6 feet apart from other patrons
- Once you have your order, follow the arrows to the stairs to the rear exit and go out to The Patio.
- Tables have been placed 2 Metres apart so that groups maintain the social distancing rules. Groups should not co-mingle. DO NOT MOVE THE TABLES FROM THE ASSIGNED LOCATION
- To get your next order, use the elevator to return to the Clubroom bar.
- When you are heading home, please tell the volunteer that you are leaving so they can wipe down the table and chairs you were using.
- NO GLASSWARE will be allowed out of the Clubroom, only plastic glasses and jugs are permitted on The Patio
- Washrooms – use the elevator to get to the Clubroom
Remember, if you feel sick, stay home
It’s time to renew your membership. Get a $5.00 discount for renewing Between 1 Sep 2020 and 30 Nov 2020
- Seniors – $45.00
- Regular, Associate and Affiliate Memberships – $50.00
- Reinstatements – $50.00
When you renew early, your name will also be entered to win one of three free one year membership
The first draw will be on 12 Sept 2020 3:30-5:00 PM.
Please remember, all the current Covid-19 Restrictions are still in place. We are only allowed a maximum of 50 people in the clubroom. This is not so much a problem on nice days because any overflow can sit on the patio and the ticket sellers will come to you. But on inclement days, if you are dropping in after 3:30 PM, please call to see if the maximum seating has been hit.
Don’t forget, MASKS ARE REQUIRED ANY TIME YOU ARE NOT SEATED. The ticket sellers will come around to you, just hold your hand up. The sellers will also go out to the patio.
The Meat Draw will be held every Saturday except 7 November (Byron Remembrance Parade) and 5 December (Turkey Rama).
Hope to see you on the Sept 12th
We have reopened, but operating at a limited capacity. With the Stage 3 restrictions limiting occupancy (50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors) and not allowing singing or dancing, we can’t hold any dances until further notice.
The Clubroom and patio are open daily. Monday-Saturday 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Sundays & Holidays 12:00 PM to 6 PM.
Our Monthly Calendar is up to date.
HOPEFULLY DANCES WILL BE BACK IN THE FALL ONCE STAGE 3 RESTRICTIONS ARE LIFTED.